GP decline my request to get tested.

help with getting a diagnosis

Moderator: admin

GP decline my request to get tested.

Postby hopefullysmellfree » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:38 am

I just recently left the GP and arrived prepared with some print outs from the info section with regards to what TMAU is and how to get tested.

Firstly I told him the symptoms I was experiencing (constant bad odour) then told him about TMAU and asked whether he heard of it which he said he hasn't. I then gave him the printouts to read up on and he said since its rare and that he couldn't smell anything at the time he doesn't think I have it and to not get tested. He then said I should try washing and changing soap, which I already do rigorously.

So what should I do from here? Is there anyway i can get tested directly or an affordable private way to get tested without shelling out £200? :(

This has already put a pause on my life and I just want an diagnoses to have some peace of mind.
hopefullysmellfree

Re: GP decline my request to get tested.

Postby PoetFire » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi

Well you could go try and see him again now he knows about it. But it don't sound hopeful.
Or go to another GP. If you did, I would send them some TMAU info in advance.

You could try emailing Shefield to ask them if they know of a nearby sympathetic Dr, but they dont seem that helpful now that Nigel is gone.
PoetFire

Re: GP decline my request to get tested.

Postby Pebble » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:06 pm

My doctor was the same. I went back seven times until the agreed to look into how to get the test done. Tell them you have all the symptoms and the smell comes and goes so that's why they can't smell you. Dr told me it was extremely unlikely I would have it but I didn't get an apology when results came back positive. I just kept on going back and eventually they listened to me. It's a shame the Drs have so little knowledge of the condition.
Pebble

Return to getting diagnosed