Advice needed

new to tmau.org.uk ?, say a big hello here.

Moderators: bigvern, admin

Advice needed

Postby imjd » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Hi I am the mother of a very happy and healthy 10 month old baby boy. For the last few weeks I have felt like on odd occasions I have smelt a funny kind of smell from his hair. I was unsure to what the smell actually smelt like but my mum said it was fishy. So I search this into google and the only thing I can find is that he might have TMAU. A syndrome I had never even heard of.

I was hoping someone could answer some questions for me.
- when did your TMAU first get noticed by your parents and how?
- if he has TMAU would he smell of fish all the time?
- would more than his hair smell of fish?
- would washing his hair take the fish smell away totally if he had TMAU? (If I wash his hair the smell goes and can not be smelt again for a long while).

I don't really know what I am hoping for here, I feel the internet can sometimes always give the bad side of things. So experience from people who have actually dealt with this situation for me would be great, either sufferers or parents of children who have the syndrome.

thanks a lot
imjd

Re: Advice needed

Postby admin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Hi,

- when did your TMAU first get noticed by your parents and how?
IF it is TMAU, depending on the type (primary or secondary) and other factors it can be early onset. some people can smell it in very small amounts, others have trouble detecting it at all.
also see amongst others;
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1487&p=5954&hilit=sequence#p5954

- if he has TMAU would he smell of fish all the time?
can be transient, mine is dependant on stress, diet and other variables

- would more than his hair smell of fish?
yes in most cases, but it may be much more muted so difficult to detect, but my hair was worse, perhaps it's just because the hair is holding on the excreted tmau more than the skin

- would washing his hair take the fish smell away totally if he had TMAU?
for a short while it may, but it didn't work for me, I excreted tmau all the time

as you will see from my brief answers, there are many factors, including both genetic and environmental which result in a wide variety of symptoms. I can't stress enough how this can vary from individuals.

Your best bet is to read through the main website and then the forum, the search function on the forum is great if you are after anything specific.
admin
Site Admin

Return to new members, introductions & greetings !!