Submit your questions here. The Dr. is an expert in TMAU testing and diagnosis

Moderator: admin

Postby rlnj » Tue May 18, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi Dr. Manning,

We live in the States and have a teenaged son who has sporadically had a fecal/moth ball type of odor. I would say that it didn't start until he was about seven. We have tried just about everything to find out its cause (GI docs, tonsils removed, etc...) This past winter I found TMAU on the internet. We took him off most choline and the smell disappeared. We then went thru Monell Chemical Senses institute and Dr. George Preti and gave him a choline challenge. That brought about no odor at all and the test was negative. So, we reintroduced choline and the smell is back. I have read about TMAU2 and am wondering if this could be what he has. Dr. Preti says he has never heard of this. Any suggestions???

Thanks so much,

Re: TMAU2???

Postby admin » Thu May 20, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi there rlnj,

First off an apology, this topic should have been locked as all the questions have now gone off, once again sorry for that.

Mr Mannings explanation of TMAU 2 will be in the answers and I will post them up as soon as I get them back.
In case you haven't seen it there is an initial description of TMAU2 here: ... &Itemid=62

If further explanation is needed after the interview comes back and gets posted on this website then It may be a good idea to ask Dr Preti to conatct Mr Manning.

I will send out a mass email as soon as the interview / questions are posted here so you can have a look.
Site Admin

Return to FAQs for Dr Manning