VSL#3

antibiotics, nullo etc. - what works for you?

Moderator: admin

VSL#3

Postby Maisie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:23 am

Does anyone know whether VSL#3 should be taken on an empty stomach or with food? It doesn't say on the leaflet in the packet.

Maisie
Maisie

Re: VSL#3

Postby Pebble » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:27 am

What is VSL?
Pebble

Postby Lisa » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:27 pm

Hello Maisie,

I'm presuming they are probiotics?

I have always taken them just after breakfast if that's any help?
Lisa

Postby Maisie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:42 pm

Hi Lisa

Yes they're probiotics. They're ones which have to be kept in the fridge and are expensive given that the delivery charge is £8.95 on top of the cost of the probiotics themselves because they are kept cool in transit.

I generally take my normal probiotics after breakfast but as VSL#3 is a powder and has to be mixed with a cold drink or yoghurt, I wondered if perhaps it should be on an empty stomach.

Maisie x
Maisie

Postby beautifulsoul39 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi i was just looking at this product wow this is hugely overpriced and there is dried skimmed milk powder in it along with soy unless you use one without this in ? Personally from experience probiotics usually only work for me a very short time days because the bad bacteria come back with a vengeance so i don't use them anymore i found encrypted pep oil much better
beautifulsoul39

Postby Lisa » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:04 pm

Maisie,

If they are "live", and need to be kept chilled then yes, I would take on an empty stomach, my thinking is they will work better, nothing to dilute it if you like?

:D x
Lisa

Postby Maisie » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:52 pm

Thanks Lisa x
Maisie

Postby DavidBob » Mon May 29, 2017 3:28 pm

Maisie wrote:Does anyone know whether VSL#3 should be taken on an empty stomach or with food? It doesn't say on the leaflet in the packet.

Maisie

I always take them with a meal as they make me feel sick on an empty stomach.
DavidBob

Postby robert123 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi all,
I guess this probably won't be too much use given I am so late in answering but firstly it does seem vsl 3 is one of the best probiotics you can take (unfortunately that is reflected in the price) along with the probiotic drink symprove -
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... omach.html

I'm pretty sure vsl3 is supposed to be taken on an empty stomach, for the life of me I can't remember did a gastroenterologist tell me that or did I read it somewhere but I do feel that's the case alright. Note of warning though for anyone thinking of taking vsl3 - it probably will make you smell a lot worse for the first week or two you are taking it until your stomach gets used to it. Like this one morning I took it first thing after getting up and basically my workplace had a very strong fecal smell for the whole morning afterwards that even I could smell (:(:(: (I usually can't smell myself)
I think a better strategy at least at the start is to wait till the evening and for around two hours after you ve eaten something and take it then
robert123

Postby admin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:59 am

I have used symprove in the past, horrendously expensive but as I have chrons as well it gave it a go.
There is a comparison study here, (NB Im not advocating smprove or anything, just more info for people to have)
http://www.symprove.com/bioscience/evid ... hcQAvD_BwE

I spoke to them at the time and they said the best way to take it was on an empty stomach and to expect slight stomach issues in some cases for a while, normal as gut bacteria changes. They did say you can start with food and titrate off the food as you got used to it.
admin
Site Admin

Return to treatment